Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Serving suggestion: Pour a shot or two of Calvados over scoops of this sorbet, serve in martini glass.
- 4 granny smith apples (about 2 lbs.)
- 2 cups sparkling dry apple cider (with or without alcohol)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Quarter apples and remove the cores and seeds; cut the unpeeled apples into 1-inch chunks.
- Combine the cider, sugar, and water in a pan; bring to a boil.
- Add in the apples, decrease heat to low, and cover.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and let apples steep until the mixture is room temperature.
- Pass the apples and their liquid through coarse-mesh strainer and press firmly on the apples to extract their pulp and all the liquid into a container; discard apple peels.
- Add lemon juice to the mixture; taste and add more if you wish, since sparkling ciders can vary in sweetness.
- Chill mixture thoroughly (overnight is recommended), then freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.