Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My cousin's wife from Muscat, Oman came to visit my family and I and made this for us. This is her creation. It is an unique combination for pachadi, but I like the tart/hot mixture. Whenever pomegranate is available, I like to make this.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups diced granny smith apples (I leave the skin on)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 -5 green chilies, split (depends on how hot you want it)
- 5 cups plain yogurt
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds (divided)
- salt, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon oil, for sauteeing
- Saute red onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies in a saucepan with oil.
- Add salt for seasoning; then add 1 teaspoon mustard seed.
- Mix again.
- Place in another bowl and reserve.
- Take the yogurt, place into a large bowl and whip well.
- Grind remaining 1 teaspoon mustard seed with a mortar and pestle and add to yogurt.
- Add the sauteed onion mixture to the yogurt.
- Saute the apples in the same saucepan until softened (I generally do not add more oil.).
- Add the apples to the yogurt mixture along with the pomegranate seeds.
- Mix well and season with salt to taste; garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
- Mix well and refrigerate until chilled.