Recipe by Koechin (Chef)
Blue cheese and walnuts. What's not to like?This mayonnaise free slaw is fresh, light and full of flavor.It is perfect for summer time picnics.
Top Review by Catherine B.
With these few modifications this recipe is a copy-cat of the wonderful slaw at Cover 3 Sports Bar in Austin, TX: Cut vegetable oil to 1/3 cup. Add 1 Tbsp. Walnut oil. Cut vinegar to 3 Tbsp. Cut syrup to 1 Tbsp. Sub 1 bag of TRI-color shredded cabbage slaw. Delete the carrot, since you'll have carrot in your slaw mix. Cut green onions to use only 4. I toss Everything in the bag to marinate. Best if left to marinate for 4 hours.
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar (Organic Brags)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 -3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sweet onions, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 granny smith apple, julienned
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced thin1/3 c Walnuts toasted
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first 6 ingredients in a blender and pulse to combine.Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine cabbage, apple,carrots and green onions.Toss with dressing to coat.Refrigerate any left-over dressing for later use.Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.At serving time toss in Walnuts and Blue Cheese.