Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Using two colors of string beans; two types of vinaigrette recipes are provided as well for you to choose for this salad. From www.worldwidegourmet.com. Look for fresh green and yellow beans at farmers' markets!
- 10 ounces green beans
- 10 ounces yellow wax beans
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1⁄2 cup walla walla onion, cut into crescents (my addition) (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- mache or boston lettuce
- Belgian endive
Vinaigrette Number 1
- 1⁄2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
Vinaigrette Number 2
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (either regular or seasoned)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In a non-reactive bowl, combine the vinaigrette ingredients of your choice and whisk well. Best prepared 1 hour in advance.
- In a clean, dry cast iron skillet, lightly toast the almond slices and allow to cool.
- Cut the tips off both ends of the string beans; cook beans uncovered in boiling lightly salted water until crisp-tender.
- Once the beans are cooked, drain and immerse immediately in cold water to halt the cooking process. Drain again. Set aside.
- Peel the apples; seed, core and cut into strips.
- Combine the vinaigrette, beans, apples, (onions if using) and almonds in a non-reactive salad bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
- If desired, the salad can be served on a bed of mache or Belgian endive.