Recipe by CHRISSYG
This is a quick and easy recipe that bodes just as well for an everyday family dinner as it would for a dinner party I like the varying colors and textures of the both beans as well as the unexpected flavor of mint in a savory dish such as this.
Top Review by Bruins Fan
Very good recipe. I followed the recipe except for the last drizzle of oil. The pasta was very moist from the added water so I didn't think I needed it. I used basil instead of mint. I liked this but I think I should have used fresh basil. Mine was a little bland. It was really easy to make though. I also think pimentos or fresh sweet red peppers might add a bit of zing
- 12 ounces orecchiette (little ear-shaped pasta)
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped (approx 4 oz)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained (chick peas)
- 1⁄3 cup of fresh mint, chopped (or basil)
- 1 1⁄4 cups parmesan cheese, grated (divided)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring often. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Transfer to large bowl.
- Brown bacon in deep large frying pan over medium - high heat until crispy. Transfer bacon to paper towel to drain.
- Add onion to bacon fat in pan sautee’ until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add frozen peas stir two minutes then add the chick peas and continue to cook until both are just heated through and peas are bright green about 1 minute longer.
- Return bacon to pan and add mint (reserving some for garnish) and pasta and enough cooking liquid to moisten pasta.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese and place on serving platter or bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with reserved mint Serve, passing additional cheese alongside.