I saw this recipe on Yahoo!Foods and modified it a bit for our tastes. It's kind of like a fancier macaroni and cheese, using the great feta cheese sauce.
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium works fine)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 3 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Simmer broth, oregano, basil, and sage for about 4 minutes, or until only 1/2 cup of liquid remains, in a large pan with a lid.
- Add chicken and let it steam in the hot broth for about 8 minutes by covering the pan with the lid and removing from heat.
- Prepare ziti according to package directions.
- Drain pasta and add to chicken mixture.
- Toss pasta and chicken with the feta, lemon juice, pepper, and parsley.
- Continue mixing until cheese is melted and top with the cherry tomatoes.
I enjoyed this extremely easy recipe for my lunch today. It's fresh tasting and plates beautifully. I had a little bit of trouble deciding how to rate this because I made some modifications. I used No Chicken Broth (vegetarian broth) and Gardein "chicken" strips (vegetarian) for the chicken. With my modifications, I would give this a 4. However, I know that using real meat and chicken broth would have lent more flavor and it was me who altered the recipe from its true intention, which would likely be a 5. I was also thinking kalamata olives would be nice in this and then saw it was suggested by several other people. I think I will add them to my leftovers! Thanks for a quick, tasty lunch, Starry! Made for ZWT9.
This is a wonderful pasta dish and I especially like how healthy it is! No oil added. ;) I used Morningstar chicken stips to make it vegetarian. I enjoyed this on the side of Veggie Salad Sandwich. Made for ZWT6 LOONEY SPOON PHOODIES!!! :D
This is a very good savory dish! Perfect for quick weeknigh dinners and great cold for lunch the next day! I think next time I will add some kalmata olives! Thanks for posting another great one Starry! [Made for Holiday Tag October 2009]