Recipe by love4culinary
This is a FABULOUS greek cake. You wont regret making this one ;) Time to cook does not include overnight soaking of raisins.
For the Raisin Syrup
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 fluid ounces brandy
- 1 fluid ounce ouzo
- 3 fluid ounces lemon juice
- 15 fluid ounces water
- 1 cup sugar
For the Cake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind of
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, melted then cooled
- 400 ml Greek yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- For the raisin syrup: Take a glass bowl and submerge the raisins in the brandy and ouzo overnight.
- After soaking, take a pan and heat the raisins and the brandy-ouzo syrup with the lemon juice, water and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then allow it to simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Set syrup aside to cool.
- For the cake: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take out a 9 inch cake pan, and lightly grease and flour it.
- Then, take your egg yolks and beat them with the superfine sugar and honey until they are pale and very creamy.
- Take your flour, baking powder and salt and sift together into a large bowl, and then stir in your egg mixture.
- Next stir in your lemon rind and then the melted butter and yogurt.
- Make sure all is combined very well.
- Now, whisk your egg whites to form stiff peaks, and stir one third of them into the cake batter.
- After that, GENTLY fold in the rest of the whisked egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, and bake for 35 minutes in your preheated oven.
- Remove from oven and then drizzle some of the raisin syrup over the cake and allow it to soak into the cake.
- To serve, slice the cake and serve with the poached raisins and more of the raisin syrup.