Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Easy to make and delicious Greek yogurt. I got this recipe from my mom. We both bake bread, also, so instead of tossing the whey that drains from the yogurt, we use it as our liquid in bread.
- 1⁄2 gallon skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt (fat free & with active cultures)
- Cook milk in a crock pot on low for 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn off crock pot, unplug and let cool until milk is 100-110 degrees (about 3 hours).
- Take out 2c of the cooked milk and mix with plain yogurt and then return it to the crock pot.
- Wrap the whole crock pot in thick bath towels and let sit overnight.
- Line a fine sieve with cheesecloth or thin dish towel and let drain until dry (this may take all day or overnight).
- Place yogurt in container and refrigerate.
- The longer it sits, the more tangy it will get & the longer you drain it, thicker it will get. I have sweetened it with honey and added fresh or frozen berries, then whipped it up with my hand mixer.
This is surprisingly good--and so easy! It's not quite as tangy as Fage brand, but I am going to experiment with letting it incubate longer to get more tangy flavor next time. To incubate, I set the filled jar on a heating pad set on low and wrapped in towels. To strain the yogurt, I used a colander lined with paper coffee filters. It worked great!