Stephanie V's Note:
Easy to make and delicious Greek yogurt. I got this recipe from my mom. We both bake bread, also, so instead of tossing the whey that drains from the yogurt, we use it as our liquid in bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 gallon skim milk
- 1/2 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt (fat free & with active cultures)
- 1Cook milk in a crock pot on low for 2 1/2 hours.
- 2Turn off crock pot, unplug and let cool until milk is 100-110 degrees (about 3 hours).
- 3Take out 2c of the cooked milk and mix with plain yogurt and then return it to the crock pot.
- 4Wrap the whole crock pot in thick bath towels and let sit overnight.
- 5Line a fine sieve with cheesecloth or thin dish towel and let drain until dry (this may take all day or overnight).
- 6Place yogurt in container and refrigerate.
- 7The longer it sits, the more tangy it will get & the longer you drain it, thicker it will get. I have sweetened it with honey and added fresh or frozen berries, then whipped it up with my hand mixer.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.9
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.1 mg
- Sodium 153.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 10.3 g