Recipe by Stephanie V
Easy to make and delicious Greek yogurt. I got this recipe from my mom. We both bake bread, also, so instead of tossing the whey that drains from the yogurt, we use it as our liquid in bread.
Top Review by Jewelie85
This is surprisingly good--and so easy! It's not quite as tangy as Fage brand, but I am going to experiment with letting it incubate longer to get more tangy flavor next time. To incubate, I set the filled jar on a heating pad set on low and wrapped in towels. To strain the yogurt, I used a colander lined with paper coffee filters. It worked great!
- 1⁄2 gallon skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt (fat free & with active cultures)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook milk in a crock pot on low for 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn off crock pot, unplug and let cool until milk is 100-110 degrees (about 3 hours).
- Take out 2c of the cooked milk and mix with plain yogurt and then return it to the crock pot.
- Wrap the whole crock pot in thick bath towels and let sit overnight.
- Line a fine sieve with cheesecloth or thin dish towel and let drain until dry (this may take all day or overnight).
- Place yogurt in container and refrigerate.
- The longer it sits, the more tangy it will get & the longer you drain it, thicker it will get. I have sweetened it with honey and added fresh or frozen berries, then whipped it up with my hand mixer.