Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is really a great cake. For some reason, I'm partial to it cold, straight out of the fridge, with a glass of ice-cold milk.
Top Review by ** Poppy **
I had people coming over so I made this the night before, left it in the refrigerator and served it the next day, Oh my god Evelyn!!! it was so goood:) I made no changes except for the vanilla extract ( I cant find it anywhere) but I used vanilla powder. Your recipe was given out to 3 ladies, and I'm sure they will also pass it on!!! Thanks for a great recipe Evelyn!
- 1⁄2 lb butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 fluid ounces brandy
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (if this is unavailable, use sour cream)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup chopped toasted almond
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 lemon, zest of (in one long piece)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from a real lemon, please)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil all of syrup ingredients together first to make syrup (10 minutes- remove zest).
- It must be cool before being poured onto hot cake.
- Beat butter with 1 1/2 cups sugar till creamy and light-coloured (about 5 minutes).
- Add yolks, peel, extract and brandy and beat until pale and thick.
- Sift dry ingredients and add alternately to the creamed mixture with the yoghurt.
- Beat whites until stiff and glossy.
- Fold into batter mixture along with almonds.
- Pour into a buttered 13 x 9 x 2" baking dish and bake at 350F for 60-70 minutes or until done.
- Check cake after about 25 minutes of baking. If the colour is already dark enough (as is the case for me), cover with a piece of aluminum foil and continue baking.
- Pour cooled syrup over hot cake and allow cake to cool completely.
- Cut into diamond-shaped pieces and serve.