A simple, delicious recipe for Greek salad with grilled pita. This salad is filled with lots of 'good for you' veggie goodness. Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray.
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 seedless cucumber, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 cup kalamata olive (I like to buy the already pitted version)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese (Greek imported feta cheese is best)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pita bread (amount is up to you)
- Mix all the veggies, olives and parsley into a large bowl. Crumble or slice the feta cheese over the salad. Combine the oil, vinegar and oregano - either shake it together in a jar or whisk. Pour the dressing over the salad - don't pour it all in at once, instead pour the amount to taste. Season your salad with salt and pepper and let it marinate until you're ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, you can quickly grill your pita bread (or use a hot griddle or grill pan). Grill until the pita gets blistered and warm on both sides.
- Serve the grilled pita alongside the salad and enjoy!
I could live on this salad. It's that good. I reduced it to one serving since I was dining alone tonight. It made a very generously sized single salad. The grilled pita is a nice addition. Made for ZWT9