Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Light & Tasty. This would be good as a side dish for lamb.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 lb zucchini, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 3 small carrots, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large potato, peeled, quartered and cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half the beans, zucchini, carrots, potato, onion and celery.
- Top with half of tomato sauce.
- Combine seasonings and sprinkle half over tomato sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake 70-80 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
I made, photographed and DH and I reviewed this for the HEALTHY EATING thread in the Food Photo Forum, Nov 2010. It gets 5 stars for healthy eating, if you use fresh veggies! As we are only 2 now, I thought this would be great to make, as there would be enough to keep over for another main meal. I layered the veggies as indicated, except in a single layer (as 1 can of tomatoes would not have been enough). I put the potato slices on top, because they do not burn easily. I made these small adjustments: used finely-chopped canned tomatoes in a thick tomato sauce (not sauce), and added a glug of Worcestershire sauce and about 2 small teaspoons of brown sugar, to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. (I always do that, as tomatoes tend to get more acidic with cooking: a tip from my mother!) I used 3 medium potatoes and added the parsley after baking the dish. With it, I made oven-baked chicken wings with a lovely sticky sauce (shop-bought!) and made a large salad of mixed greens with fresh green herbs. Great! Thank you for a VERY healthy dish, so easy to enjoy!!
This was really good! I left out the zucchini because my family doesn't care for it and I used a combination of frozen green beans, yellow beans and baby carrots. I cut the potatoes smaller to reduce their cooking time.
This was awesome, I made it last night to go along with the Greek Phyllo Stuffed Chicken and we were blown away. You can also steam the vegetables for 20 minutes and then combine with tomato sauce if you want it faster...