Recipe by COOKGIRl
Well, sorta. Took a recipe and embellished it. The lamb meat can be omitted if you wish. Inspired by a recipe in Betty Crocker's Meatless Main Dishes. If you want to spice it up further, garnish with fresh minced hot peppers! A good way to use up leftover refried beans!
Top Review by lazyme
Fun tostada. This was overloaded with goodies. I used some shredded leftover lamb shank, Greek pita bread, mizithra cheese (with a little cheddar) and Greek yogurt. It was hard to eat because it kept falling apart, but that may be because I loaded it up. lol. Thanks for sharing Cookgirl. Made for ZWT9.
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried black beans
- 1⁄2 lb cooked ground lamb (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt-free garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 whole wheat pita bread, warmed or 4 arabic bread
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons green onions, sliced thinly or 3 tablespoons red onions, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup mizithra cheese, grated (feta cheese or white cheddar cheese can be subbed)
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce or 1 cup fresh Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salsa verde
- sour cream (plain) or Greek yogurt (plain yogurt)
- minced fresh chili pepper (serrano, habanero, jalapeno, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to BROIL.
- In a bowl, combine the cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, allspice and cinnamon with the refried beans.
- Divide and spread the bean mixture on pita bread. Add the cooked lamb, if using.
- Top with the bell pepper, diced tomato, green onion and cheese (use a combination of mizithra and cheddar if you want).
- Broil for approximately 2-3 minutes, watching oven *carefully*.
- Remove from oven and top with the lettuce and cilantro. Garnish with the salsa verde, sour cream and minced chili pepper, too!
- Note: Yield is for tostadas without the optional meat. Half pound indicated in recipe is pre-cooked.