Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can use vegie broth or chicken broth in this, but it is best with Herb Broth. Serve with a crusty bread and a salad.
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, snipped
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium leek, washed & finely chopped (white part and just a little green)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with the juice (petite diced)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of (grated)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 4 1⁄2 cups herb broth (Herb Broth)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, minced
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in the boiling water until soft. In a mortar and pestle, pound the sun-dried tomatoes with their liquid to a paste.
- In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, saute onion and leek in olive oil until translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes. Add sun-dried tomato paste and sugar. Continue cooking over a moderately high heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, grated orange zest, and mint, and cook another 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the herb broth, cover, and simmer for 30-45 minutes longer. (Soup may be prepared ahead of time up to this point.)
- In a bowl, mix together yogurt and flour until smooth. Gradually add a spoonful of hot soup, stirring contantly. Add another spoonful of soup, then slowly add yogurt mixture to soup pot, stirring constantly. Continue cooking soup over a gentle heat, stirring, being careful not to let mixture curdle.
- Adjust seasonings, then add the fresh parsley. Serve immediately.