Recipe by lazyme
From THE FRUGAL GOURMET by Jeff Smith. Posted for ZWT6.
Top Review by sofie-a-toast
I ended up blending this and using it for pizza sauce. I enjoyed it but my BF found it too sweet which was strange since there is no sugar - perhaps all the wine? I agree that it could use a little kick from some pepper flakes next time! Wonderfully easy and rich though.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 4 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and add the olive oil.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until clear.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley and oregano.
- Simmer, covered, until the tomatoes are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook an additional 20 minutes.
- The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for several days.