Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
From Simply in Season. This salad is wonderful when you can get fresh ripe juicy tomatoes from your garden.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
Even though I halved this recipe, I used only 3 tomatoes (1 per person), but kept the amounts of green pepper, onion and cucumber the same - so basically, I just reduced the tomato.LOL (maybe we have way larger tomatoes?) Used both mint and parsley and kalamatas and feta. We can live on this salad and its variations, all year long.
- 8 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 cucumber, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 tablespoons of fresh mint or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded or 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbles or 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive
- some sprigs fresh herb (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomatoes, onion, pepper & cucumber in a bowl.
- Combine fresh herbs, olive oil, vinegar and garlic.
- Pour dressing over vegetable and toss lightly.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with cheese and/or Kalamata olives.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh herbs if desired.