Recipe by sofie-a-toast
Made up as a great vegetarian gyro! If you are not vegetarian, this marinade/recipe would be fabulous with chicken as well.
Top Review by rpgaymer
Loved this, although I did make a few changes. I did not mix the Feta, tomatoes, and olives, and instead put them on a plate along with some chopped green onions so everyone could take as much as they liked. I also just got regular, pocket-less pitas which I prefer. The tofu marinade is great; the thyme almost gives a slight meaty flavor to the tofu. [Made & Reviewed for Please Review My Recipe]
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup broth
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta
- 1⁄3 cup tzatziki, sauce
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, chopped
- 4 pita bread
Directions See How It's Made
- drain the tofu and press for 30 min by putting between paper towels with a large weight (book or heavy pan) on top.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing oil, broth, pesto, garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- cut the tofu into thin strips. Marinate the tofu for 1hr minimum, tossing a few times to make sure it is evenly distributed but being careful not to break pieces.
- meanwhile, combine cucumber, tomato, olive and feta in a bowl.
- Take the tofu out of the marinade (reserve marinade) and fry over very high heat in a non-stick skillet until darkly browned (very important that it is non-stick!). Turn off heat and immediately pour extra marinade over tofu. The pan will be very hot and the marinade should mostly cook off immediately,.
- Meanwhile, heat up pitas in oven or microwave. Cut in half and fill each one with tofu, tzatziki, and veggies.