Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A very traditionaldish from Ikaria, Greek. My family gave high praises to this dish, but there's hardly any fancy cooking techniques involved. All the ingredients used are in season during July/August/Sept. So this dish is best cooked during this period. What a lovely, simple recipe this is! (Recipe from Kochilas's "The Glorious Foods of Greece).
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs green beans, trimmed,holved crosswise
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 3 ears corn, shucked,halved
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled,cubed
- 3 ripe firm tomatoes
- 2 zucchini, cubed
- salt & pepper
- blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, drain, peel, and chopped.
- heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, add beans and onions.
- reduce heat to med-low, simmer for 5 minutes.
- add corn and potatoes.
- add enough water to almost cover the veggies.
- cover, bring to a boil.
- simmer again with low heat for another 25 minutes.
- add tomatoes and zucchini.
- Stir and simmer further for another 25minutes or so.
- Serve warm and drizzle with more olive oil (use extra-virgin, it makes a tremendous difference in this dish)!