Both sets of my Grandparents were born in southern Italy (Sicily and a small town called Casal Dune near where they make a liquor called "Strega") We always had lots of different savory dishes made with fresh mint. This is very similar to my grandfather's recipe for chicken. (I'm the one that started putting it on kebabs)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 -3 lemons, juice of
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 10 -15 mint leaves (additional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large red onion
- 1If using wooden or bamboo skewers soak at least 1/2 hour in advance. Prepare grill to med-high heat.
- 2Cube chicken breasts into approximately 1.5" pieces. Place in a zip lock bag and 1/4 cup oil, chopped herbs, lemon juice (reserve about 1 tsp juice set aside), garlic salt and pepper. Press out as much air as you can and seal. Allow meat to marinate for about 15-20 minutes. (Reserve 2 tbs oil for brushing while grilling.).
- 3In a small bowl whisk 2 tbs olive oil and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- 4Cut onion into large (1") chunks for skewering. Skewer a piece of onion, a piece of chicken then a mint leaf. Continue repeating this pattern until the skewer is nearly full. (Do not push pieces together they should be a little loose on the skewer.)
- 5Grill over medium high heat (or medim high coals) turning occasionally and brushing with olive oil/lemon mixture until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- 6Very nice served with rice pilaf and/or some grilled eggplant.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Summer Chicken Kebabs
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.4
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 98.7 mg
- Sodium 405.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 40.1 g