Recipe by Mirj
From the Hellenic Hannukah cookbook. This version is from Foradenes, a small, family-owned seaside taverna in the town of Finikki on the island of Syros.
Top Review by Norahs Girl
These where so tasty,to just add a little variation I added a dash of tabasco to the mix prior to forming the meatballs.I served them on a bed of assorted salad leaves and sprinkled some finely chopped spring onions over as a garnish.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs zucchini, thinly grated
- 1 large white onion, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, snipped
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, snipped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- olive oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine zucchini and onions in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Let sit for 20 minutes and then squeeze out all the water.
- Add dill, mint, egg, cheese, bread crumbs and butter, and combine well.
- Fashion mixture into tablespoon-sized balls and fry- 6 at a time- in 5 1/2 inches olive oil, heated to a temperature of 325 degrees, for 2-3 minutes , or until light brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.