Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Love tofu scramble, here's another version. Original idea to incorporate some Greek flavours came from www.manyveggierecipes.com. My personal preference for any scramble is medium-firm tofu, water packed. Most recipes call for firm or extra firm, and that'll work, it's really whatever you like best. I know some people prefer silken for a really creamy texture. If you use firm or extra firm, you might need to add a little more liquid.
- 1 (350 g) packagemedium-firm tofu (or your preferred tofu)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced (abaout 5 or 6)
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 1⁄2 bell pepper (red or orange looks nice)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped (a few good handfuls)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or Braggs, soy etc)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- Drain the tofu from it's packaging water. Place it in a bowl along with the lemon juice and break it up into chunks. Your hands make the best tools here. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest. You could also do this step ahead of time.
- In a small bowl mix the tahini and water together -- it can be hard to mix tahini when it's cold, try using hot water and pressing the tahini against the edge of the bowl. Set aside.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of the oil over medium heat, and add in the onion. Allow it to cook through, about 5 minutes. Mix in the garlic and mushrooms and leave for another 5 minutes or so. Next add the tomato, bell pepper and spinach. Allow that all to cook for another 3 minutes or so.
- Push the veg mixture to the edge of you pan. Put the other tbsp of oil in the centre of the pan and when hot, add the turmeric and mustard powder to it. Allow those spices to sizzle in the oil for a minute then add in the tahini water, braggs or soy, nutritional yeast, mashed tofu, oregano and basil. Gently mix everything together well.
- Adjust seasoning and allow it to cook until it thickens to your liking.