From Ellie Krieger. Used fresh spinach that I chopped instead of frozen spinach.
Make and share this Greek-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers (Light) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the beef, spinach, zucchini, onion, bulghur, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomatoes over the peppers and sprinkle with the feta cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer.