Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This mediterranean-inspired main dish is brimming with a medley of tastes; savory lemon, pungent oregano and tender artichokes. The recipe comes from Weight Watchers. Points per 1 2/3 cup is 4 points.
- cooking spray
- 1 lb uncooked ground turkey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 8 small uncooked new potatoes, scrubbed,unpeeled
- 9 ounces frozen artichokes, hearts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Coat 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Season turkey with salt and sage; shape into 1 inch balls, add to skillet and brown on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes; remove and place in 4 to 5 quart slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, frozen artichokes hearts, oregano, pepper and broth; cover and cook on high heat 5 to 6 hours.
- (note when layering the ingredients in your slow cooker, arrange the artichoke hearts near the top so they do not overcook. It isn't necessary to thaw the artichokes first).
- About 15 minutes before serving; spoon cornstarch into a cup, add 1 tablespoon of the slow cooker liquid and lemon juice; stir well.
- Stir into slow cooker, cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes more.
This is an interesting dish. I like lots of spices, so I used far more salt, sage, and oregano than called for, but it was still a little bland for me. I cooked for 6 hours on high, and the potatoes were great but the artichokes were mush. Next time will up the spices even more, and add the artichokes half way through.
I loved this, but even leaving the artichokes frozen and putting them on top they got a little too squishy. That may be my personal problem though, because I like mine a little al dente. The overall flavor was great and my kids loved the meatballs. I loved that it was low "points". Thanks, Barb for a yummie dinner!!!
When I first saw this I thought it was a soup, so I ended up making the soup version of this by adding more broth and spices, with lots of fresh oregano and more lemon. It was really good!