Cook1 hr 15 mins
If you love Greek food as much as we do then you will love this dish --- you may omit the capers and use your choice of chicken pieces instead of all legs --- omit the chicken and reduce the chicken broth, and you have an outstanding roasted potato dish --- this also works very well using sweet potatoes in place of russets.
- 3 -4 lbs chicken legs (can use less)
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 3-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped minced fresh garlic (add the whole bulb if desired the more the better!)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 -4 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice (can use bottled, I prefer freshly-squeezed)
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a large roasting pan (large enough to hold the chicken).
- Rub the chopped garlic into the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken into the pan along with the potatoes, onions and capers.
- Pour the broth over.
- In a small bowl whisk together oil, lemon juice, oregano and rosemary.
- Pour evenly over the chicken and potatoes.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes (could take more or less time depending on the size of chicken pieces) basting occasionally with juices.
- *NOTE* if you find that either one is cooked before the other (either the chicken or potatoes) then remove to a dish and continue to cook.
I tried this recipe on the recommendation from Midwestguy, and all I can say is that it's absolutely wonderful. I followed the suggestion of marinating the chicken in the olive oil, lemon juice, 1/2 cup white wine, oregano, rosemary and salt and pepper. I just used the marinade over the chicken when it was time to put it in the oven. Fantastic! After I took it out of the oven I put a generous handful of feta cheese over it. YUM! Thank you for such a great recipe!
This was really good! I do wish the lemon flavor had been a little stronger but other than that it was great. Next time I may try marinating the chicken ahead of time as another reviewer suggested.
Opa !!!! Opa !!! This is great!!! I love this savory dish and it's easy to make!!! The chicken was a perfect 180 degrees F in this cooking time and the potatoes were soft and cooked through. The dressing and flavors were wonderful, I love the oregano and capers, and I put just a bit of dried rosemary sprigs for the rosemary to be subtle in flavor and it was perfect!! Love the lemony juices that cook down into a wonderful flavoring for the potatoes. Will definitely make this one again and again, thanks so much!!!