Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
from Bon Appetit, November 1997
- 12 large garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons black olives, cjopped
- 3 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- 4 pita bread rounds, 6-inch diameter (cut horizontally in half)
- 8 tablespoons monterey jack cheese, grated
- 8 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
- butter, room temperature
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place garlic in small baking dish. Top with 2 tablespoons oil. Bake until tender, about 25 minutes. Cool.
- Combine cucumber, onion, vinegar, sesame seeds, oregano and 3 tablespoons oil in medium bowl. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Peel and chop garlic. Place in small bowl. Mix in cream cheese and all olives.
- Drain cucumber salad. Spread 1/4 of cream cheese mixture on cut side of each of 4 pita halves. Spoon 1/2 cup salad over each.
- Sprinkle both cheeses atop salad. Cover with remaining 4 pita halves.
- Heat medium skillet over medium heat. Butter sides of each pita. Working in batches, cook quesadillas in skillet until cheese melts, about 3 minutes per side. Garnish with peppers. Cut into wedges.