Cook1 hr 10 mins
There's something about potatoes mixed with lemon juice and fresh herbs that says "perfection." This particular combination is adapted from Sally Schneider's "A New Way to Cook" and was a good accompaniment to Baked Eggplant with Feta Cheese.
- 2 lbs potatoes, new, peeled and quartered length-wise if large
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, finely chopped (3 medium)
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, fresh, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place potatoes in a casserole large enough to hold them in 1 layer.
- In a measuring cup, combine the water, lemon juice, shallots, thyme, salt & 1 T oil.
- Pour over the potatoes and nestle the bay leaf in the middle.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour.
- Toss with the remaining 2 tsp oil and return to oven.
- Bake 10 min longer, until glazed and golden.
- Remove, discard bay leaf and season to taste with black pepper.