This can be made with ground turkey or ground beef instead of the chicken, if desired.
Make and share this Greek Style Penne Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces feta cheese, divided
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Cut chicken breasts into small cubes; saute until just cooked through.
- Sprinkle seasonings over top, stir to distribute evenly and add canned tomatoes and sauce.
- Stir to deglaze and bring sauce to simmer while cooking pasta.
- Bring large pot of water to boil; stir in penne and cook until al dente, approximately 9-10 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Stir egg and 1/2 of feta cheese together; add to pasta.
- Layer pasta in casserole dish or 8 x 12 inch baking pan sprayed with cooking oil spray.
- Pour sauce over top (sauce will be thin and will settle throughout pasta).
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned on top.
Very good, quick, and easy to put together. The whole family enjoyed it. Generous servings, and with a green salad, a great weeknight meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I made this tonight and it was really really good. I didn't have a 15oz can of diced tomatoes so used half of a 28oz can. I was happy I did this because I was able to use the rest of the can after it came out of the oven. It gave it a little more moisture. I also didn't measure out my feta so I think I used more. At any rate I enjoyed this.
Hey! When I was at college, I found this recipe the day it was posted and printed it out- only to have to wait until I was back home to try it. Well, I'm home now so I got to make this wonderful dish! I followed your directions exactly- Oh, so much flavor! I've never used feta cheese before, so that was a cool change! I will be making this again! Thanks!