Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This wonderful, Mediterranean dish would even be better with some stuffed grape leaves, lemon wedges and some plain yogurt. Then bring out the coffee and baklava! This doubles very well.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups feta cheese, crumbled (about 7 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup brine-cured black olives, pitted, such as Kalamata
- chopped Italian parsley, for garnish
- Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels using slotted spoon.
- Add onions and eggplant to drippings in skillet. Saute over medium-high heat until eggplant is tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, vinegar and thyme. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes. Stir in capers. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling water until just tender but still firm to the bite. Drain. Transfer to large bowl. Toss with olive oil. Mix in eggplant sauce, feta, olives and bacon. Sprinkle with parsley.