This is a variation of a recipe I came up with years ago. Because the ingredients are combined while the pasta is still warm, the dressing really soaks in and some of the cheese melts, leaving a creamy texture. I usually have a little bit of the dressing left over, which I save for spinach salad later. Hope you enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup sliced kalamata olive
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 (8 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 5 -6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a medium-size bowl.
- While pasta is still hot, stir in the rest of salad ingredients and dressing to taste.
- Salad is good immediately while still warm, or also chilled or at room temperature.