Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from "Heal Your Heart", the Rice Diet book. I haven't made it yet.
- 1 lb lentils
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 -5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 16 ounces no-salt tomatoes
- 3 ounces no-salt tomato paste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar (or to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup red wine (optional)
- Wash and sort lentils. Put them and 2 qts. water over medium heat.
- When they begin to simmer, add everything else.
- Continue to simmer, uncovered, until they are cooked and sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes.
I chose to make this as I have a good lot of lentils currently on hand and I like them a lot. I knew in advance that I would need to add salt, no problem. My surprise came when I started looking for the tomato paste and couldn't find any, oops. I subbed in Chili Sauce and I think that it worked out quite well, it really popped up the flavor level. I found that, in my case, it took almost double the stated time to really cook through. I don't know but that might be because I have lentils from this years harvest from a friends farm? Be that as it may, the outcome was a tasty soup that I topped with some rough cut chives out of my yard for an early dinner.
This was ok. Younger megavore loved it. It desperately needed a good dose of salt. I think a bit more vinegar would be good, too. Nice & easy. Quick also. Made for the Zesties of ZWT6!