Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Sunset magazine. The lemon flavor is pronounced so if you don't love lemon, you might want to cut back on the amount of juice used or omit the zest.
- 4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced crosswise into 1/2-in .-thick rounds
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano leaves, chopped (I used about 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450° and butter a 9- by 13-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, toss potato slices with lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, lemon zest, garlic, and salt; layer slices in baking dish.
- Pour 1 cup boiling water over potatoes and bake, uncovered, until most of the water has evaporated and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes (mine took longer).
- Top with feta and bake until golden, about 15 minutes more.
Delicious dish. We made this for our Easter celebration to serve with lamb - perfect accompaniament. We like lemon so I chose to use both the juice and the zest. Next time we might use chicken broth in place the of the water to add additional flavor. It took our potatoes more than 30 minutes also. I stirred the potates during the first 30 mintes of cooking as the tops were drying so next time I might cover the potoates with foil for more even cooking and then remove it when adding the cheese. Thanks for a great combination bobo3039!