Recipe by Miss Annie
This simple recipe, made with ground lamb, borrows some of the flavors from Greek specialties, but takes only a few minutes to put together and serve for a speedy supper. Serve with a Greek style salad for a complete meal. This also freezes well.
Top Review by Michelle S.
This is so very good! I added a wee bit more garlic (we adore it!) and when I needed more liquid I added some white wine. After it was done I tasted it and felt it needed salt (I must be on a sodium kick)so I added it. Tasted again and still not enough for ME, so I added a generous squirt of ketchup,(I'm sorry, I just HAD to) and then it was sodium perfection for me! Serve this over rice pilaf instead of white rice and was in heaven. Thanks for the quick, easy, tasty dinner recipe. It will be a repeat!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- black pepper
- 5 cups cooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, nonstick skillet, brown the ground lamb with onion and garlic.
- When lamb is no longer pink, tip pan and with spoon remove any accumulated fat.
- Stir in tomato puree, water, cinnamon and oregano.
- Sprinkle with pepper; bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes.
- Add more water if it seems too thick.
- To serve, mound rice on serving plates and top with lamb mixture.
- To freeze: Combine lamb and rice and put into freezer container.