Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
This savory one-pot meal combines four classic Greek flavors - lemon, dill, parsley and lamb.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 (1 lb) lamb shanks (small)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, each cut into quarters (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3⁄4 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium lemons
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a 8-quart Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat, Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt on lamb shanks. Cook lamb shanks, 2 at a time, until browned on all sides. Remove shanks to a bowl as they brown.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In drippings in Dutch oven, cook onions and carrots until tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes.
- Return lamb shanks to Dutch oven. Add tomatoes with their juice, chicken broth, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling over high heat. Cover Dutch oven and bake 1 1/2 hours. Turn lamb shanks over; add potatoes and green beans. Cover and bake 1 1/4 hours longer or until lamb and potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, from lemons, grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice.
- When lamb shanks are done, skim fat from sauce. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, dill, and parsley.