Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This side dish goes well with my Greek-style lamb chops recipe and rosemary roast potatoes.
- 500 g butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 25 ml oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 ml ground cinnamon
- 2 ml dried oregano
- 100 ml chopped parsley
- 100 -125 ml chicken stock
- 10 ml honey
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan and soften onions.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, cinnamon, oregano, parsley and squash.
- Toss to mix and then add stock (the amount depends on the juiciness of the tomatoes.)
- Add honey and seasoning.
- Cover and simmer until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
I've made this a dozen times. It is always fantastic! My one complaint: it is really really difficult to peel an uncooked butternut squash. I fear for my digits everytime.
I wanted to try something different with my butternut squash, and this was good. The honey adds just a hint of sweetness.
Excellent! We had bought a beautiful organic butternut squash, and we were trying to figure out how to prepare it to go with lamb shanks. This was perfect.