Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Greek cooking is so passionate.It's cooked with passion and eaten with passion. This is a flavorful change from the normal burrito. I hope you will enjoy it.
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 3⁄4 lbs extra lean ground beef (91%)
- 4 small garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 4 (6 inch) flour tortillas, warmed (you may choose to make your own)
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, outer leaves removed, shredded
- Place rice and 1 1/3 cup water in medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 14 minutes. Do not stir or lift cover. Remove from heat and let steam, covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown beef and garlic in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Drain on paper towels to remove all fat. You may use a mesh strainer, as I do.
- Return meat/garlic mixture to skillet and add mint, oregano, cumin and salt.
- Cook over medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add the yogurt and the cooked rice, mixing well.
- Spoon onto center of warm tortilla, top with lettuce and roll up.
- Note: you can warm the tortillas in the microwave oven. Lay them flat and heat them at medium power for 45-50 seconds. Check about half-way through, and be sure not to over-heat them. All microwave ovens heat differently.
- You can also warm them in the oven at 250° by wrapping them in aluminum
- foil and heat in 250° oven for 10 minutes.