Recipe by DrGaellon
Inspired by several similar recipes on here, this is my own take, comprised of pantry items I had on hand.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces frozen diced onions or 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh basil
- 3 small bay leaves
- 4 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large, oven-safe skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent. (If using frozen onions, saute until pan is dry.) Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Move onions and garlic to edges of pan and add tomato paste to center. Stir tomato paste constantly until very dark and pan is coated. Stir onions into tomato paste and add red wine, scraping up fond from pan as wine evaporates.
- Add tomatoes (with any juice in cans), tomato sauce, spices and beans. Stir everything together well. When simmering, cover and transfer to preheated oven. Bake 40 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.