Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a tasty meat and vegetables with just the right spices to make it a flavorful dish. I got this from the ladies of the Greek Orthodox Church. They always have something special cooking in the kitchen.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 -2 minced garlic clove
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef, mixed is good too (your preference)
- 1⁄4 cup dry wine (red or white)
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 8 zucchini, approximately 4 inches in length
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated feta or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Slightly brown the meat, drain if needed.
- Add the seasonings.
- Cook onions and the garlic in the olive oil.
- Add wine and tomato then cook your mixture 30 minute.
- Let it cool slightly, then quickly stir in the egg whites and bread crumbs.
- Set aside while preparing the zucchini.
- Trim both ends of the zucchini and slice in halves lengthwise.
- Parboil them for 3 minutes in salted water.
- Carefully, remove onto paper towels and drain.
- Place into an oiled, flat roasting pan.
- Scoop out the centers discarding the pulp.
- Spoon the meat filling into the shells.
- Top each with bread crumbs, moistened with oil or butter.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese over all.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until crumbs are golden and the zucchini are very tender.