Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Use a combo of tomatoes and peppers, or all of one or the other.
- 6 medium tomatoes, ripe
- 6 medium green bell peppers
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 ounces unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb (or beef)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped (or parsley)
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice, white (uncooked)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash tomatoes and peppers. Cut a thin slice from the tops of each to make a cap. Scoop out pulp from tomatoes and chop, adding pulp to tomato sauce. Scoop out seeds from peppers and discard.
- Blanch peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes and drain well.
- Sprinkle insides of tomatoes with sugar. Place them upside down on paper towel to drain.
- Saute onion in butter over medium heat until transparent. Add mushrooms and continue cooking a few minutes. Add lamb, salt and pepper, and garlic, stirring until juices are absorbed. Add mint, rice and 1 cup of tomato mixture (sauce and pulp). Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place peppers and tomatoes in baking dish and fill with meat mixture. Place tops on peppers and tomatoes.
- Pour oil over all and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Mix water and remaining tomato mixture and pour around vegetables.
- Bake 1 hour, adding more hot water if needed.
DEEEELICIOUS!! I made this for the 'Make Mine Vegan' challenge in ZWT9. I subbed olive oil for the butter & soy crumbles for the hamburger. I realized too late that I could have used quinoa. I think TVP would work well, too. For Mike & the Appliance Killers!