1/1 Photo of Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Use a combo of tomatoes and peppers, or all of one or the other.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium tomatoes, ripe
- 6 medium green bell peppers
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 ounces unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb (or beef)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped (or parsley)
- 1/2 cup long grain rice, white (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 cup water
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2Wash tomatoes and peppers. Cut a thin slice from the tops of each to make a cap. Scoop out pulp from tomatoes and chop, adding pulp to tomato sauce. Scoop out seeds from peppers and discard.
- 3Blanch peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes and drain well.
- 4Sprinkle insides of tomatoes with sugar. Place them upside down on paper towel to drain.
- 5Saute onion in butter over medium heat until transparent. Add mushrooms and continue cooking a few minutes. Add lamb, salt and pepper, and garlic, stirring until juices are absorbed. Add mint, rice and 1 cup of tomato mixture (sauce and pulp). Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- 6Place peppers and tomatoes in baking dish and fill with meat mixture. Place tops on peppers and tomatoes.
- 7Pour oil over all and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Mix water and remaining tomato mixture and pour around vegetables.
- 8Bake 1 hour, adding more hot water if needed.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.8
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 103.2 mg
- Sodium 314.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 23.7 g