I was searching for a good stuffed mushroom recipe that we could have for a main meal. I couldn't find one that really tickled my tastebuds so I made this one up and I was really pleased with the results. They were delicious!
- 6 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, drain and chop fine (in oil)
- 1⁄4 cup black Spanish olives, chopped (a la greque)
- 3 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup ciabatta garlic-flavored croutons, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped plum tomato
- 100 g feta cheese, divided
- Wipe the mushrooms and place, gill side up, in a greased baking dish.
- Place in a preheated 220*C oven for about 8 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and saute the onions until soft. Stir in the sundried tomatoes, olives, and chopped spinach. Cook for a few minutes, then add the chopped plum tomatoes and the crushed croutons. Take off the heat and let sit for a few minutes. Crumble in two thirds of the feta cheese.
- Take mushrooms out of oven. Spoon the topping evenly over each mushroom. Crumble the remaining feta cheese over top.
- Return to oven and bake until bubbly and feta on top is slightly browned.
- Serves 3 as a main course or 6 as a starter, depending on how big your mushrooms are.