Recipe by FoodCritic Wannabe
This is my mother's recipe. It is such a versatile recipe. I often use quinoa instead of rice and it turns out beautifully. You can use any vegetable you like (eggplant, tomatoes, zuchini, etc..). Just remember the formula, for every vegetable use 1 1/2 tbsp of rice.
- 13 bell peppers (orange, red, yellow)
- 2 cups calrose rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 onions
- 1 cup olive oil, divided
- pine nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare 12 peppers by carefully cutting out the tops and removing the seeds. You will use the tops to cover the peppers before they are baked.
- In a large bowl prepare the stuffing. Finely chop the onions and 1 bell pepper in a food processor. Add the rice, water, herbs, tomato paste, 1/2 cup of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. If using pine nuts add them now. The mixture should be "liquidy", like a gazpacho soup.
- Stuff the peppers about 3/4 full. If any stuffing is left over just go back and evenly distribute! Cover the peppers with their tops.
- Add the other 1/2 cup of olive oil to the top of the peppers.
- Bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Lower to 350 and cook for 1 more hour.