Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 shallots or 2 green onions, minced
- 1 lb lean ground lamb or 1 lb beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup grated kefalotyri or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, if needed
- 1 lb phyllo pastry, defrosted
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add shallots and sauté until soft.
- Add meat; mash with fork until browned.
- Add wine; simmer a few minutes.
- Stir in parsley, mint, dill and tomato sauce; season with salt and pepper and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add cheese and egg.
- If mixture appears too loose, stir in bread crumbs immediately before stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove filo from package, covering with waxed paper and damp towel.
- Take out one sheet at a time, keeping remainder covered.
- Place oblong on flat surface.
- Butter filo, one sheet at a time, using pastry brush.
- Repeat with second sheet.
- Cut sheets into 2-inch wide strips.
- Place 1 teaspoon filling at bottom of strip.
- Starting from bottom, roll up like flag.
- Repeat until all filling is used.
- To bake, place on ungreased baking sheet.
- *Triangles can be kept frozen in a tightly sealed container for up to two months.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Do not thaw; bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.