Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Though the name sounds dubious, I'm not expecting you to stuff a Greek into a chicken breast. This is from my stack of Taste of Home magazines - Light and Tasty, October/November 2005 issue. I've tweaked slightly to lower fat. Posted for Zaar World Tour II
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained & squeezed dry
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a 9 X 13 inch baking pan with foil for easier clean-up.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, basil, oregano, salt, garlic powder, pepper & 2 teaspoons olive oil. Set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet saute onion, garlic & red pepper in remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil till onion is tender. Add spinach; cook & stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat & stir in cheeses.
- Dry chicken; cut deep pockets in each, slicing horizontally almost to the bone.
- Fill each pocket with 1/4 cup spinach mixture, pinch edges of chicken closed to minimize ooze.
- Place chicken in baking pan. Brush reserved oil/juice/herb mixture over each piece.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover & bake 10-15 minutes more until chicken is done ( 170ºF on meat thermometer).
The flavors are wonderful!! Because I needed a quick version I used the following modifications. Pound boneless breasts thin between two sheets of plastic wrap. put spinich filling on one side and fold the breast over. Pat the outside dry and brush with the herb mixture. I cooked these on the George Foreman grill on medium for about 10-15 minutes. I also used fresh spinich as opposed to the frozen. GREAT!!
This chicken was over-the-top delicious! I made no substitutions to this recipe only some minor amount adjustments, I stuffed the breasts in the morning and baked for dinner, I am going to give this recipe a try using small turkey breasts, this has gone into my favorites folder, I served this with Nimz grilled brussel sprouts recipe, a dinner fit for a king! thanks so much for sharing hon, we loved this!...Kitten:)
I LOVED this recipe! I wasn't too sure I would because of the ingredients combo, but it is soooo good. I intend to keep this at the top of my "make again" list. I did use only half the amt of red pepper flakes, it was enough for my tastes. Thank you. Lee