Recipe by Rob R.
I got this from Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Kitchen web site. I only changed from crumbling the feta onto the stew after serving to putting the crumbled feta directly into the stew after cooking.
Top Review by mommycook
I was searching for a recipe like this to incorporate all the bounty from my garden. I used Italian flat beans and skipped the feta to make it a more Italian dish. The nice thing with this recipe is that it is flexible. Really delicious just slightly warm.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise & into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 lb green beans, thawed if frozen,fresh is better
- 1 3⁄4 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bunch chopped fresh dill or 1 bunch fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot or steep-sided stir-fry pan.
- Add the onion and sauté until it is golden.
- Add the potatoes and water.
- Bring to a simmer, then cook, covered, over medium heat until the potato chunks are about half-done, about 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, and oregano.
- Simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Stir in the dill combination, Cut the feta cheese into chunks and put into the stew.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.