Recipe by CountryLady
A classic from the Canadian Living test kitchens! Instead of using stewing beef, I usually cut up a cross rib or blade roast.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
This stew is just awesome! I used my homemade beef stock, and of coarse used more than 3 cloves of garlic, and 1 large onion. I made this with top sirloin steak, and also added in some red wine. We will be having this for dinner tonight topped with Feta cheese, and homemade butter pan rolls on the side. This is a wonderful stew recipe, thanks CountryLady for sharing....Kitten:)
- 3 lbs stewing beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small onion (about 7)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped freh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef into 1 inch cubes, trimming off any fat& place in Dutch oven.
- Cut onions lengthwise into wedges, leaving root end intact; add to pot along with garlic& tomatoes.
- Combine next 6 ingredients in a small bowl& pour into pot.
- Cover& cook in 350F oven until beef is tender, about 3 hours.
- Whisk flour into water, then whisk 1/2 cup of the hot liquid from the Dutch oven into the flour mixture.
- Stir the mixture back into the Dutch oven.
- Add the green pepper& cook, covered, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Serve, sprinkled with feta& parsley.