Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
i found this from an old collection
- 3 lbs stew meat, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 lbs white pearl onions
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a heavy kettle, brown meat in butter.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add chopped onion and saute until clear.
- Mix in tomato paste, vinegar, garlic and half of the water.
- Add bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour, adding additional water as needed.
- Add white onions and mushrooms.
- Cover and simmer 1 more hour or until meat and onions are tender.
- Add cheese, cover and cook 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.