Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty and easy version of the classic greek spinach cheese pie, an excellent main course.
- 1 (16 ounce) packageof prepared phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 195 g feta cheese
- 350 g cottage cheese
- 190 g cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain spinach, using a paper towel squeeze all moisture out.
- Saute onion in a bit of olive oil until golden brown.
- Drain cottage cheese.
- Chop up or crumble cheeses.
- In a large bowl mix cheeses, spinach, onion, eggs and dill. Set aside.
- Remove half the phyllo from the package. Cover with damp cloth. Lay one sheet of dough in a 9X13 baking dish, brush with melted butter. Repeat until the half of the dough has been used. Pour on the spinach/cheese mixture and level with spatula. Top with remaining half of the phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and 'puffy'.
- Cut and serve. This is for main course, you can also do in small triangles of dough for an appetizer, but that's too much work for me!
- This freezes very well.
I'm reviewing this while having a warm leftover slice of this for breakfast! This is something I will make over and over, I can tell. I made a few changes, based on what I already had on hand: subbed ricotta cheese for the cottage/cream cheese, used oregano instead of dill, and threw in a handful of toasted pine nuts. It's a dream of a veggie entree!
This is a great recipe and it's easy to make. Thanks for helping me get over the intimidation of working with phyllo dough. DH really liked this dish and I can see where it could be a nice appetizer or be served as a light meal. Will definitely make this dish again. Made for Fall PAC, 2012.