Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A recipe from A Week in a Day, episode Souper Charged. I haven't tried this yet, posting here for safekeeping, it looked so good!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin oliv oil, plus some for drizzling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 -8 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 2 cups split peas
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- naan bread (or pita or flatbread)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- dried oregano
- Greek feta cheese, crumbles for garnish
- cumin, for garnish
- paprika, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the soup: Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the stock and peas, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, 20 minutes. Remove half the soup and puree with the mint and parsley until smooth(or chunky) in a food processor or high powered blender. Return the puree to the pot, and stir in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal.
- For the flatbread: Arrange the flatbread on a wire rack over a baking sheet, spray with the olive oil on both sides and season with salt and oregano. Roast in the oven to toasted and crisp. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Reheat the soup over medium heat. Serve the soup garnished with feta crumbles and a light sprinkle of cumin and paprika, a drizzle of olive oil and flatbread chips.