Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
These saucy shrimp spiked with cinnamon, allspice, and fets quickly disappear. Serve with crusty bread and even rice or orzo. Gourmet Nov 2008
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 1⁄4 lbs large peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1⁄4 lb feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. with rack in middle.
- Cook onion and garlic in oil with 1/4 tsp salt in a 4-quart heavy sauce pan over medium heat until softened, about 5 minute.
- Stir in spices and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and sugar, simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Season shrimp with 1/8 tsp salt, then stir into sauce.
- Transfer to a 2 quart shallow baking dish and top with feta.
- Bake until just cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled wiht dill.
i used canned petite diced tomatoes because i already had those on hand, left out the cinnamon, and used cavender's greek seasoning rather than salt on the shrimp. i also juiced 1/2 a lemon over top before baking. served with couscous and foccacia bread. we really enjoyed it, very yummy! i
We enjoyed this meal! I used a can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes and added a bit of dried oregano with the spices. I served the shrimp mixture on a bed of orzo. Thanks for sharing! Made for Spring PAC 2010.
This recipe was awesome. Very simple to make and tastes delicious!