Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe from Gourmet magazine that I really enjoy. It is great served with crusty bread to sop up the sauce, or serve it over rice. Have a yummy green salad on the side!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, drained, reserving liquid, and chopped
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 1⁄4 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 lb feta, crumbled (2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in the middle.
- Cook onion and garlic in oil with 1/4 tsp salt in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in spices and cook, stirring 30 seconds. Add chopped tomatoes with juice and sugar and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Season shrimp with 1/8 tsp salt, then stir into tomato sauce. Transfer to a 2-quart shallow baking dish and top with feta. Bake until just cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve sprinkled with dill.
I made 2 servings that I served over a brown and wild rice mix. The flavors are lovely, I upped the cinnamon just a bit and skipped the cheese and dill for personal preference. It came out a real treat that I much enjoyed.
We enjoyed the different flavors in this dish. The sweetness of the spices were something new for us. I did cut the recipe in half and served it over some linguine. Just a salad and the crusty bread as suggested for a wonderful meal. Thanks for posting. :)
Very good! And the aroma is divine but we love cinnamon! (And cinnamon is so good for you, read You On A Diet.) I split the recipe in half, omitted the dill due to personal preferences but otherwise made as posted. Next time I would reduce the crushed red pepper. Served ours over rice with some quick crescent rolls and a salad. Congrats for winning TOPS prize in Top Favorites of 2008 game. Thank you breezermom for sharing.