Recipe by breezermom
This is a recipe from Gourmet magazine that I really enjoy. It is great served with crusty bread to sop up the sauce, or serve it over rice. Have a yummy green salad on the side!
Top Review by Annacia
I made 2 servings that I served over a brown and wild rice mix. The flavors are lovely, I upped the cinnamon just a bit and skipped the cheese and dill for personal preference. It came out a real treat that I much enjoyed.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, drained, reserving liquid, and chopped
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 1⁄4 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 lb feta, crumbled (2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in the middle.
- Cook onion and garlic in oil with 1/4 tsp salt in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in spices and cook, stirring 30 seconds. Add chopped tomatoes with juice and sugar and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Season shrimp with 1/8 tsp salt, then stir into tomato sauce. Transfer to a 2-quart shallow baking dish and top with feta. Bake until just cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve sprinkled with dill.