Recipe by CountryLady
This is posted in response to a request for "skewer" recipes. A real coincidence as this was being prepared on the food network by Nick Makris from Nick's Diner in Regina Sask - it looked SO GOOD I just had to post it. Use pork or lamb - serving with pita bread is optional but tzatziki is a must! Prep time includes a minimum of 2 hours for marinating.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Excellent flavor ~ made the best gyros we've ever had. I was a little concerned about the mint as I've never used it before in a marinade, but it didn't over power at all. Served with pita pockets, feta and tzatziki!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless leg of lamb or 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder or 1 1⁄2 lbs pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- coarse salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, onion, oregano, parsley, mint and black pepper in a bowl& mix well.
- Add meat, toss to coat, cover and refrigerate; marinate for a minimum of 2 hours but overnight for best results.
- If using wooden skewers soak them in water overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium high.
- Thread meat evenly onto 4 skewers& season with salt and pepper.
- Grill skewers 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium or cook a few minutes longer if you prefer well done (6 to 7 minutes).
- Serve with tzatziki sauce and pita bread.