Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From Southern Living Light & Easy Comfort Food.
Top Review by FloridaNative
This was VERY good, though I strayed from the directions a bit. I used a whole chicken cooked in the crock pot for 8 hours on low. I mixed the spices for the chicken and rubbed on and in the chicken, and included one lemon (and juice) in the cavity with a small onion and the garlic. The orzo I made as directed, but without the olives (personal preference). The chicken was moist and tender, flavors were delicious, and using the crock pot made it a very quick Monday night dinner. I particularly enjoyed the flavor of the orzo. I've been wanting to try this recipe ~ had it in my 'MUST TRY' cookbook for some time, and I'm so glad I finally got to it. Thanks Whatcha Cookin' Mom ~ a DELICIOUS keeper recipe :)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 (6 ounce) skinless chicken breast halves
- cooking spray
- 3 cups orzo pasta, cooked and hot (about 1 cup uncooked rice-shaped pasta)
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie stick margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 teaspoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- oregano sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- Add chicken; seal and marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from bag; reserve marinade.
- Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill 10 minutes on each side or until chicken is done; baste occasionally with reserved marinade.
- Combine orzo and next 4 ingredients in a bowl; toss gently to coat.
- Serve chicken on top of orzo.
- Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs, if desired.
- Yield: 4 servings.